Doughton Horton is our family law attorney, focusing his practice on all issues related to the divorce process, including child custody, child support, alimony and equitable distribution. He also focuses his practice on the adoption process.
Doughton understands that the divorce process can be an overwhelming and emotional time in his clients’ lives, an understanding he believes is critical in helping his clients through a difficult time.
Doughton also believes that it is usually in his clients’ best interests, financially and emotionally, to attempt to settle their case through negotiation. However, Doughton recognizes that there are times when settlement is not a viable option, and thoroughly preparing to zealously represent his client in court is necessary to advocate for his client’s best interests.
Born in Sanford, North Carolina, Doughton attended high school at The O’Neal School in Southern Pines, North Carolina. He then spent the next four years in Chapel Hill where he received his Bachelor of Arts in American History from UNC. After a year of teaching High School English in France, Doughton returned to North Carolina where he attended law school at the Charlotte School of Law graduating with a Juris Doctor degree.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A. History
- Charlotte School of Law, Juris Doctor
Special Recognition and/or Awards
- Recognized by Business North Carolina Magazine as 2017 “Legal Elite” in Family Law
- Class of 2014 Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute graduate
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- United States Eastern District of North Carolina
- Mecklenburg County Bar Lawyer Referral Service Vice Chair
- Mecklenburg County Bar Family Law Section
- North Carolina