Selected as 2017 “Legal Elite” in Family Law by Business North Carolina Magazine
Doughton Horton is our family law attorney, focusing his practice on all issues related to the divorce process, including child custody, child support, alimony and the distribution of marital assets and debts. He also focuses his practice on the adoption process.
Doughton understands that the divorce process can be an overwhelming and complicated time in his clients’ lives, an understanding he believes is critical in helping his clients determine the best approach to their case. He also understands that every situation is unique, requiring it’s own personalized approach. However, whether your case requires litigation in court or is suited for an amicable resolution out of court, Doughton has the skill set and experience to effectively resolve your case.
Born in Sanford, North Carolina, Doughton attended high school at The O’Neal School in Southern Pines, North Carolina. He then spent the next four years in Chapel Hill where he received his Bachelor of Arts in American History from UNC. After a year of teaching high school English in France, Doughton returned to North Carolina where he attended law school at the Charlotte School of Law graduating with a Juris Doctor degree.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A. History
- Charlotte School of Law, Juris Doctor
Special Recognition and/or Awards
- 2017 “Legal Elite” in Family Law by Business North Carolina magazine
- Class of 2014 Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute graduate
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- United States Eastern District of North Carolina
- Former Mecklenburg County Bar Lawyer Referral Service Chair and Vice Chair
- Mecklenburg County Bar Family Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina